How do I?

These are some questions frequently asked by employers when managing employee super

Employer training videos

Join Rest as an employer
Registering for employer access
Registering for SCH online
Entering my contributions manually
Adding a new employee
Updating employee details
Mapping my contribution file
Uploading my contribution file

How do I pay?

Rehiring an employee
Checking my contributions history

Multi-factor Authentication

What is Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA)?

Multi-factor authentication is an electronic authentication method in which a user is granted access to a website or application only after successfully presenting two or more pieces of evidence to an authentication mechanism. In this case Rest’s EmployerAccess/Online or SCH Online portal is being targeted to comply with the ATO’s operational framework for Digital Service Providers and is a legislative requirement.

How do I register for MFA?

Upon MFA rollout you will be prompted to register when you log in to your EmployerAccess/Online or SCH portal. For further instructions please view our EmployerAccess/Online and SCH Online User Guide. Click here to log in

How can I download the application to my device?

You have the option to use Okta Verify or Google Authenticator as your second layer of authentication.  If you are an android user visit, if you are an apple user visit Search for the required application, download and install the applications from your app store / play store onto your mobile or tablet device. 

What if I do not have a device to download the application?

If you do not have a work-dedicated device to install the app, you will need to use a personal device to download the application.

The barcode will not scan for Okta Verify?

If you are unable to scan the barcode select ‘Can’t Scan?’. You will be presented three options to link your device:

Send activation link via SMS - Select country the mobile number is attached to, enter the number and press send. Click on the link sent via SMS and follow the prompts via Okta Verify app to enrol.

Send activation link via email - An email will be sent to your registered email. Open the email on your device and click the link 'Activate Okta Verify Push' to enrol.

Setup manually without push notification - Open Okta Verify on your device and select the "+" button in the top right corner of the application. Within 'Choose account type' select Other followed by Enter Key Manually. In the Account name field enter your email address followed by the Secret Key into the Key field. Select 'Add Account' to enrol.

The barcode will not scan for Google Authenticator?

If you are unable to scan the barcode select ‘Can’t Scan?’. Open Google Authenticator on your device and select ‘Enter a setup key’. Enter your email address in ‘Account Name’, and the Secret Key presented in the login page into ‘Your key’. Please change ‘Type of key’ to Time based and select ‘Add’ to enrol.

The 6 digit verification code is not working?

The verification code must be entered within the designated time limit. This will be indicated with a teal bar at the top of the screen in Okta Verify or a blue circle in Google Authenticator. If this is still not working, please refer to ‘How do I reset my Multi-Factor Authenticator?’

I am not receiving the registration emails when being set up for the first time?

If a new contact has been created in EmployerAccess/Online and SCH Online and has not received an email to register to MFA, check that the correct email address has been registered. If the email is correct, check your Junk/Spam inbox and mail filter.

How do I set up additional users in Employer Access?

To create a new user in EmployerAccess/Online, navigate to ‘My details’ followed by ‘Manage contacts’ and select ‘Add’. The new contact will receive an email to create a password and set up MFA.

Primary contact has left business and cannot add new user to account.

You will need to contact Rest directly to request access to the employer account. Additional written verification may be required. Please use the ‘Contact Us’ feature for your Rest contact details.

I am an Accountant/Payroll Officer and I manage multiple employer accounts, do I need to set up an MFA for each account?

The MFA is embedded to your individual email address, therefore if you have one login then you only need to set up MFA once. You will only need to set up MFA for each business if you have a separate email address for each employer account.

How do I reset my Multi-Factor Authentication?

In the top right corner of the online portal, select 'Settings' followed by 'Manage Multi-factor Authentication' and select 'Reset'. You will then be required to confirm this change. You will then be automatically signed out of EmployerAccess/Online and returned to the Rest login page.

What can I do if MFA is not working?

If you are unable to log in with MFA, please attempt to reset your password via the log in page. If you are still unable to log in, ‘Contact Us’ for further assistance.

Do you still require assistance?

If you are still having trouble, please ‘Contact Us' at 1300 305 775 during 8am to 8pm AEST/AEDT and we will be able to assist.

Managing super

How do I manage my employees’ super?

If you’ve already joined Rest as an employer, you can conveniently manage your employees’ super online with EmployerAccess.

EmployerAccess allows you to:

  • submit contribution details and pay by BPAY®, EFT or Authorised Bank Transfer
  • change payment method and frequency online
  • set up new employees
  • reactivate previously terminated employees
  • update your business and employee contact details 
  • view your contribution history
  • have multiple users on the same account with different access levels
  • exports contribution and employee data in various formats

® BPAY and the BPAY logo are registered trademarks of BPAY Pty Ltd ABN 69 079 137 518

If you are not a Rest employer, you can open an account to access the benefits of managing your employees super online.

When do I provide an employee’s Tax File Number (TFN)?

Employers are required to provide Rest with an employee's TFN within 14 days of them giving it to you, or when you make the first SG contribution on their behalf. The Australian Taxation Office (ATO) may apply penalties if you’re late in providing an employee’s TFN.

When you supply us with your employees' TFNs:

  • we’ll be able to accept all types of contributions to their account
  • additional tax for non-quotation of TFN will not be charged
  • it’ll be easier to trace lost super, so they receive all their super benefits when they retire.

How do I update new employee details?

You can update details for new employees in EmployerAccess for existing Rest members and new Rest members by taking the steps below. Before you start when it comes to updating the email, please enter the new member’s email address - not yours. This ensures you don’t receive unnecessary emails from Rest. It also ensures that the member receives important information that may affect their super and insurance.

Add a new employee who is already an existing member of Rest

  1. Employees with existing Rest accounts will need to supply us with some information so we can link them to your business. Have your employee complete the Standard Choice Form and give it back to you.
  2. Login EmployerAccess > Employee Management > Add new employee
  3. Enter the details they’ve supplied in EmployerAccess or in your next contribution payment, including the employee’s:
  • Rest member number
  • full name
  • date of birth
  • gender
  • residential address
  • postal address
  • email (members email address)
  • mobile number
  • date they began employment with you
  • TFN (if they’ve supplied it for employment purposes)
  • salary (for insurance calculations for Rest Corporate members)
  • occupational category (for insurance calculations for Rest Corporate members)

Add a new employee who is not currently a member of Rest?

  1. Login EmployerAccess > Employee Management > Add new employee 
  2. Add the employee’s details into EmployerAccess or in your next contribution payment including the employee’s:
  • full name
  • date of birth
  • gender
  • residential address
  • postal address
  • email (members email address)
  • mobile number
  • date they began employment with you
  • TFN (if they’ve supplied it for employment purposes)
  • salary (for insurance calculations for Rest Corporate members)
  • occupational category (for insurance calculations for Rest Corporate members)

Once you’ve added your new employee online, we’ll send them a welcome pack and login details to complete the application process.

How do I update current employee details?

You can see all employees who are current members of Rest and edit their details.

Login to EmployerAccess > Manage details

If you need to make adjustments to contributions (for example if there has been an overpayment), contact us on 1300 305 775 from 8am to 8pm weekdays and we will help.

How do I update departing employee details?

When an employee leaves, all you need to do is record their termination date in EmployerAccess and pay any outstanding contributions for them.

Login to EmployerAccess > Manage details

Departing employees don't need to close their account. They can ask their new employer to pay contributions to their Rest account.

What do I do if an employee goes on unpaid leave?

You’re not required to pay super for employees on unpaid leave, but you must advise us before their leave commences in order for Rest to maintain their insurance (if any) and to adjust their accounts for insurance and administration charges. You can advise us of an employee going on unpaid leave in EmployerAccess.

What should I do if an employee dies?

If an employee passes away, please call 1300 305 775 9am to 5pm weekdays to report the death and to find out how the employee’s beneficiaries can claim their benefit.

How do I add a Self-Managed Super Fund (SMSF) member?

To add a SMSF member, you will need to complete the following steps:
  1. Login EmployerAccess > Employee Management > Add new employee
  2. Select the radio button for “Another Fund”
  3. You will be prompted to enter mandatory details for the SMSF: Fund name, Australian Business Number (ABN), Electronic Service Address (ESA), banking details of the SMSF and email address.
  4. Select ‘Continue’ and confirm the details entered by selecting ‘Confirm’.
If you require further assistance, please phone the SCH Online Support Team on 1300 855 935.

What should I do if one of my employees has changed address?

When you become aware of an employee’s change of address, you can advise us through EmployerAccess:

Login > Employee Management > Manage Employees

You can also supply this information on your next contribution file. It is important to do this, as we update our records based on the most recent information provided to us. If your records are out of date, member information may be posted to their old address.

What should I do if one of my employees has changed their name?

For Rest to update an employee’s name change, you must provide a copy of a document from Births, Deaths and Marriages registration office:
  • Marriage certificate
  • Deed poll
  • Change of name certificate

Email this to:

Update company details

How I do check and update my company details?

  • You can check your company details  by logging into EmployerAccess.
  • To update your Business Registered Name and/or Trading Name you will need to send an email to containing a copy of the confirmation of business name certificate from ASIC and the details you require updated.
  • However, if there has been a change in business structure and a new Australian Business Number (ABN) is issued, a new employer account will need to be created. Email us at confirming the date of this change and ensure all contributions for your employees are paid up until the date of change.

How do I advise Rest if a change to employer contact details?

For Rest to update your account information we require this request in one of the following formats:
  • EmployerAccess. Log in, select the ‘My details’ tab and select ‘Manage Contacts’ from the drop-down menu
  • An email to
    • Send the email from a business email address containing a business signature. (This cannot be a gmail or Hotmail address)
    • And/or attach a copy of the confirmation of business name certificate from ASIC along with the details you require updated. 
  • Talk to us online via Live Chat weekdays 8am-10pm (AEST) and 9am-6pm (AEST) on Saturdays.

What happens if I sell my business or cease trading?

Email us at confirming the date your business was sold or ceased trading. All contributions for your employees must be paid up until the date of sale or when trading ceased.

Employer SG contributions

Who is eligible to receive super?

Employees that are eligible for super include:

  • All Employees who are 18 years or over are eligible for super if they earn a minimum of $450 (before tax) in a calendar month , regardless of how many hours they work. 
  • Generally, employees under 18 will only be eligible for super if: 
    • they earn a minimum of $450 (before tax) in salary or wages in a calendar month; and
    • they work for more than 30 hours a week.
  • You need to pay SG contributions for employees who are at work or on leave such as:
    • paid sick leave
    • long service leave
    • annual leave
  • You will NOT need to pay super if your employees have not met the requirements above. Generally this will be employees under 18 years of age. 

For those employees who are eligible, you must provide a Standard Choice of Fund Nomination form to them within 28 days of their start date.

How do I manage SG contributions?

Rest helps make managing your employees’ super easy so that you can get on with running your business. You can make super contributions via EmployerAccess and SCH Online which are SuperStream compliant systems. 

Submitting contribution information

If you have all the correct information on hand, such as employee details and the amount you need to contribute, then processing your super payment should be seamless.

An efficient way to submit contribution information is online via EmployerAccess, either through the Import File or Manual Grid options. Which option you choose to use will depend on factors such as the number of employees you have.

Manual grid

Enter contribution details directly into EmployerAccess. May be most suited to employers with less than 20 employees.

Import file

Upload all your employees’ details simultaneously, saving you time and hassle. May be most suited to employers with more than 20 employees.

View user guide

When do I need to pay Superannuation Guarantee (SG) contributions by?

We recommend making monthly payments. However, employers that are not required to contribute on a monthly basis - under an award or industrial agreement - can choose to make quarterly contributions.

For quarterly payments the SG deadline date is set 28 days after the end of each quarter.

Quarter Dates Due date


1 July - 30 September

28 October


1 October – 31 December

28 January


1 January – 31 March

28 April


1 April – 30 June

28 July

If you don’t meet the quarterly deadlines, the ATO may apply a penalty known as the SG charge. It may include the SG shortfall, interest and an administration fee which is not tax deductible and will result in an added expense to your business.

If you’re making an after-tax contribution (i.e. voluntary contributions) on behalf of an employee, it must be paid to Rest by the 28th day of the month following the month from which the contribution was deducted.

How do I calculate how much super to pay?

As an employer, you must pay a minimum of 9.5% of each eligible employee's ordinary time earnings each quarter. If your employees are covered by an award or employment agreement which specifies a higher super contribution than 9.5%, you must pay that higher amount.

Ordinary time earnings (OTE) are usually the amount your employee earns for their ordinary hours of work. It includes things like commissions, shift-loadings and allowances, and generally does not include overtime payments.
The maximum SG contribution is 9.5% of the maximum super contribution base. The maximum contribution base is used to determine the maximum SG contribution that an employer is required to make under the super laws. This base is $57,090 per quarter in the 2020-21 financial year, which is indexed each year.

You can use the Australian Taxation Office calculator to help you calculate how much super you must contribute to your employees.

How can I pay my employees' super?

You can pay contributions by BPAY®, EFT or Authorised Bank Transfer and enter supporting information via EmployerAccess. Visit EmployerAccess for details on our payment options.

® BPAY and the BPAY logo are registered trademarks of BPAY Pty Ltd ABN 69 079 137 

Can I claim a tax deduction on contribution payments?

You can claim a tax deduction for super payments you make for employees in the financial year you make them if you meet the SG requirements. Missed payments may attract the super guarantee charge (SGC), which is not tax-deductible.

How do I pay employees with superfunds other than Rest?

You can pay super online for all your employees at the same time no matter which super fund they have with SCH online, a clearing house accessible via EmployerAccess

What happens if I miss my SG payment or do not pay enough?

You’ll need to lodge a SG Charge Statement with the Australian Tax Office (ATO) and pay a penalty. It will include the SG shortfall, interest and an administration fee which is not tax deductible and will result in an added expense to your business.

Do I need to notify Rest if there is nothing to pay/how to submit a nil contribution?

Yes, it’s important when making contributions these are reflected on you and your employees’ accounts even if the employee is not entitled to a Superannuation Guarantee contribution, particularly if contributions are made via a Clearing House as nil contributions are not forwarded to a superannuation fund.

Processing a nil contribution for your employees will also remove these employees from future payment reminder notifications from Rest. You can submit your nil contribution online by logging in to EmployerAccess and by following these simple steps:

  1. Submit these details through the ‘Manual Grid’ option.
  2. Ensure the contributions remain defaulted to $0.00 (nil) and select ‘Continue’.
  3. This will take you to the ‘Summary Page’ and select “Continue to ‘Payment Details’.
  4. You are required to select BPAY® as the payment option.
  5. Select ‘Confirm Payment’ for the $0.00 contribution to be authorised.
  6. Your contribution can be found in the ‘Completed Contributions’ menu once finalised

® BPAY and the BPAY logo are registered trademarks of BPAY Pty Ltd ABN 69 079 137 

How can I submit a contribution for my employees?

You can submit your contribution online by login to EmployerAccess and by following these simple steps:

  1. Load your contribution data either through the Import File (Custom file or SAFF) or Manual Grid options.
  2. Select the contribution month(s) required to be paid or ‘Create Additional Contribution’ if necessary.
  3. Enter your contribution amounts and select the ‘Continue’ button.
  4. This will take you to the Summary Page where you can check and confirm what has been submitted.
  5. Then you can either ‘Adjust Payment Detail’ if needed or select on the ‘Continue to Payment Details’.

How do I request a contribution refund or adjustment?

Where errors occur, you can request an adjustment of super payments made to Rest, such as changing how a payment was allocated or getting a full or partial refund of a contribution payment. To request a contributions refund, simply contact us on 1300 305 775 between 8:00am to 8:00pm Monday to Friday.

SCH Online/Clearing House

Does Rest offer a Clearing House?

SCH Online is a SuperStream compliant online system to submit your super contributions to multiple super funds (including Rest) using one data file and one payment. SCH Online then distributes payments and instructions to Rest member accounts and to funds outside of Rest, on your behalf. SCH Online is a third party clearing house provided fee-free to Rest employers.

How do I start using SCH Online?

If you have already joined Rest and are registered for EmployerAccess, you simply need to follow these steps:

       Login > My Details> Manage Preferences

       Then follow the prompts to enable your SCH Online account access

If you are not registered, you can open an account to become a Rest employer. Before you start making payments, you simply need to enter the details and super fund of choice for each of your employees (a one-off process). Then you just make a single payment each super period and the clearing house takes care of the rest. A payment and notification is sent on your behalf to each of the super funds you’re making payments to.

You’ll find everything you need to know about setting up your SCH Online account in the SCH Online.

How does SCH Online work?

With SCH Online, you can pay super to all your employees, no matter which fund their super is with, in one convenient online session. SCH Online then distributes payments and instructions to Rest member accounts and to funds outside of Rest, on your behalf.

Is SCH Online free?

SCH Online is provided fee-free to Rest Employers.

What if I choose another clearing house?

You can still make your monthly/quarterly contributions to Rest through another clearing house system.

Why would I use SCH Online instead of other payment systems?

You will be able to spend more time on your business and less time doing administration.

Keeping Records

What records do I need to keep?

You must keep records that show:

  • how much super guarantee (SG) you paid for each employee and how it was calculated
  • that you have offered each eligible employee a choice of super fund and evidence you have provided the standard choice form to all eligible employees
  • Details of employees you don't have to offer a choice
  • Confirmation that your nominated (default) fund offers a MySuper product.

These records must be available English and records should be kept for 5 years. 

For more information visit the ATO website or contact us directly. 

Employee salary sacrifice payments

What is salary sacrifice?

Salary sacrifice is an arrangement between you and your employee where they agree to forego part of their before tax salary, in return for you making super contributions of the same value to their Rest account.
It’s recommended to take the time to negotiate any salary sacrifice packages with your employee in writing, which specifies how much of their employment package is to be paid in super, and how much in wages.

How do I manage salary sacrifice payments?

If you are submitting salary sacrifice payments for your employees, please ensure these contributions are entered into the Salary Sacrifice column in the contribution screen within EmployerAccess. This will ensure that the salary sacrifice contributions are clearly identifiable and allocated correctly.
When your employee receives their member statement from Rest, they will be able to see their salary sacrifice contributions in the salary sacrifice column, separate from employer (SG/Award) contributions.
Please note, both employer SG/Award contributions, together with any salary sacrifice contributions count towards an employee’s allowable concessional contribution limit. Any contributions in excess of these limits may attract additional tax.

If you have any questions about salary sacrifice, please contact us 1300 305 775 on 8am to 8pm weekdays.

Are there other ways for employees to make additional contributions

Yes, there are many ways employees can contribute to their super to help grow their super for their retirement. Visit our additional contributions page for more information.