Emergency financial assistance


The following services may be able to help you relieve your immediate financial distress.

Severe Financial Hardship Payment

If you meet certain conditions, Rest now allows you to access part of your super if you're experiencing severe financial hardship. These conditions include receiving Commonwealth income support payments for either 26 continuous weeks or a cumulative period of 39 weeks, depending on whether you've reached the preservation age (the age you'd usually be able to access your super from).

If you haven’t reached your preservation age, the maximum amount you can withdraw under severe financial hardship is $10,000, and this can only be made once in a 12 month period.

To apply for an early release of your super under severe financial hardship payment, contact us on Live Chat or call us on 1300 300 778.

For more information see Accessing your super early


Centrelink is part of the Department of Human Services. They deliver social security payments and services to Australians.

Call: 132 850
Website: www.humanservices.gov.au/centrelink
Online tool: Payment and Service finder tool

National Debt Helpline

NDH is a not-for-profit service that helps people in Australia tackle their debt problems.

They are not a lender and they don't 'sell' anything or make money from you. Their professional financial counsellors offer a free, independent and confidential service. They are here to help you get back on track.

Call: 1800 007 007
Website: www.ndh.org.au

Salvation Army

The Salvation Army offers a range of support options to help with financial difficulties, depending on the nature of your problems.

Call: 1300 371 288
Website: salvos.org.au/need-help/financial-assistance

St Vincent De Paul

The St Vincent de Paul Society in Australia has more than 60,000 members and volunteers, who work hard to assist people in need and combat social injustice across Australia.

Call: 1300 VINNIES
Website: www.vinnies.org.au/findhelp

The following services may be able to provide financial assistance if you are undergoing treatment for cancer.

Cancer Council

Cancer Council NSW provides direct emergency financial assistance to people affected by cancer and financial disadvantage.

Call: 13 11 20
Website: www.cancercouncil.com.au/get-support/pro-bono-program/financial-assistance/

Red Kite

Cancer is expensive. Treatment can put pressure on finances, particularly for those who need to travel and stay away from home, or young people living independently.

Redkite can help cover the cost of many essential items, including:

  • Bills for electricity, gas, water, rates, internet and phone
  • Car registration, insurance, and in some cases, repairs
  • Rent and mortgage payments
  • Accommodation relating to treatment e.g. hotel bills
  • Shell fuel vouchers and Coles grocery vouchers
Call: 1800 733 548
Website: www.redkite.org.au/support/financial-assistance


The information referred to on this page is general in nature only and does not take into account your personal circumstances. The services referred to on this page are offered and provided by third parties, not Retail Employees Superannuation Pty Ltd, the Trustee of Rest. The Trustee is not responsible for the services, views or actions of these organisations. Rest does not receive any payments or commissions from these third parties as a result of you using their services. You should use your own judgement before taking up any service offered by a third party. You should ensure that you know, and understand, the terms and conditions which will apply to the provision of such services from the third party. The Trustee does not accept liability for any loss or damage incurred by any person as a result of using services provided by these third parties.