Can I help my partner increase their super?

If your partner or spouse is working part time, a stay-at-home parent, or not working at the moment, then it’s likely they’re also not receiving super contributions from an employer. This means that their super can fall behind.

Luckily, there are ways you can help your partner or spouse’s super continue to grow, such as making a spouse contribution.

If your spouse earns less than $37,000 each year and you make a voluntary contribution into their super, you may be eligible to receive up to a maximum 18% tax offset on that contribution. The maximum offset of $540 is based on a $3,000 contribution per year. The offset will phase out for spouses earning over $40,000 per year.

To estimate the tax offset amount, see the calculator on the Australian Tax office website.

What is the definition of spouse?

Your spouse is your partner, by either marriage or living together on a domestic basis as your husband or wife (a de facto partner). This includes same-sex couples.

Spouse contributions (after tax)

Grow your partner’s super by making an after tax contribution and enjoy a tax rebate of up to $540 pa.

Want to learn more?